The Camino Frances

The Camino Frances

Friday, September 14, 2012

First phase complete

Murias de Rechivaldo to Rabanal del Camino  Sept 14  16 km

I have arrived in Rabanal, where I will be working as a volunteer hospitalera. Even though my job doesn´t start until Sunday morning with breakfast, my training has already started.

But first, today. Angelica, the hospitalera at Murias, was an angel . She was so kind, making sure I had the food I needed - she cooked me rice instead of the pasta for supper, as the primera. Then it was chicken again, plus salad, and yogurt for dessert. I slept much better, and was ready to start this morning by 8, after a breakfast of cafe con leche, yogurt, and granola from home. Food is an incredible preoccupation, as an army ( pilgrims) marches on it´s stomach.  Then the other hospitalero adjusted my pack for me, and I was off. 5 km to Santa Catalina de Somoza, and another ccl ( cafe con leche). 5 more kms, all uphill to el Ganso and the Cowboy Bar, for a juice. Then more very steep up hill, and 6.5 km to Rabanal. ( I went from 997 to 1149 meters in height). It was hot again, and quite a challenge, but the scenery was beautiful, and then there were multiple stops to pick and eat the wild blackberries.

I had lunch - sardines on rice cakes, cheese and a cookie, while waiting for the Albergue to open. They opened late as there was a fiesta today. Then a rest, a shower, and setting up for tea. Tea in the garden with biscuits was lovely. Most of the 28 people here so far joined in and once again they are multiple nationalities, with 6 Danes, and 2 French Canadians.

Tonight I am having dinner with David, who is leaving tomorrow morning, so I have been instructed in how to do his job of cleaning half the bathrooms and the barn. We will go to Vespers at 7 then dinner, then Compline at 9;30, then bed as I start cleaning right after breakfast, which we serve from 6:30-7:30. I feel rushed already, so I will close with a deep breath. I can do it, I can do it.

Blessings
Darlene

1 comment:

  1. Mom, amazing! It is wonderful to read so many posts of yours, to stay in touch by reading along. I wish you an enlightening journey the whole way. Please take as good care of yourself as you can. Lots of love always, Aisy

    ReplyDelete