The Camino Frances

The Camino Frances

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Happy, Happy, Happy!

Day 5 , April 27, from Pamplona to Puenta La Reina - 24 km

Anyone who has walked with me in Toronto may have heard me say this mindless/mindful mantra  *Happy, happy, happy*, and that is just how I felt all day today. Why? Well...

Yesterday was difficult, both mentally and physically. But thanks to a good sleep and all your positive comments and encouragement, today was wonderful.
Yesterday, the backpack felt heavy- today it felt like an old friend.
The sun shone the whole day.
I saw black slugs, magpies, hawks, dogs and horses - so interesting.
I saw olive, fig and almond trees, white asparagus growing in the fields, the canola fields are completely yellow, and we walked through vineyards. The wild poppies are in bloom - all beautiful.
Dinner last night was at 7, (that is early for Pamplona, and late for us) and I had paella, which is not often on the menu, chicken and chips, and yogurt and berries - yummy! And don´t forget, wine is always included.
I began the day with cafe con leche and a banana, then snacked as I went along on 2 more bananas and a banana bread muffin top from home. Wendy and I had lunch on Alto de Perdon - rice cakes and cheese ( from Paris), fresh green beans and a carrot, and an orange. I celebrated arriving at the albergue with a chocolate ( thanks, Meg, Arlo, Cy and Lola)
I was able to prebook the albergue Santiago Apostol on Alto, so no worries about accomodation.
I found a silver medallion on the trail.
My feet are great - a bit of redness on the right bunion, but otherwise, fabulous.
I could have walked farther. I think I have hit my happy place!!

The Puenta - bridge, over the river Arga, built in the 11th century by order of the queen.


Alto de Perdon, with Pamplona in the background




Blessings to you all!
Darlene

20 comments:

  1. So Happy; Happy ,Happy for you!!!! Black slugs take me back to my childhood in England, in fact that part of Spain is very like the beautiful countryside of England. I remember seeing the little "English" Robins following Natalie and I along the trail. We still only have buds on our trees Darlene you are so lucky to be walking through such magnificent countryside. Keep on blogging. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Julie. I wonder if those slugs will appear in dinner one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IThe snails might. I remember pricing up snails along the way and placing them safely to the side of the trail so that fellow pilgrims would not crush them with their hiking boots, only to see a Spaniard collecting them in plastic bags one morning and seeing them for sale in a restaurant in the nest town. . I called my crusade SOS ( save our snails)

      Delete
    2. Should read picking up snails sorry. ( predictive text)

      Delete
  3. I am so with you in spirit, Darlene. Loving all your descriptions and stories. I'm checking your progress using Google terrain maps - OMG, you have travelled through mountains, all right. Buen Camino as you carry on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are following. Hope that reading my blog will help you prepare.

      Delete
  4. Darlene, you and Wendy are doing an amazing job. The photos are magnificent and inspiring to us all. I need to look up the terrain maps to see the actual extent of your daily challenges. The scenery looks fabulous. Spring has obviously arrived there. We have only a few buds here. 21 of us carried on with the Friday walk from Davisville through what I call "Central Toronto". Only a few climbs though and the rain held off here. Your deputy leaders, Pat and Linda are doing a great job of keeping us in line. Buen Camino!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they give you a chart in the pilgrims office when you start that shows the height of the hills each day. Sometimes it is better not to know. Every day so far has included difficult climbs and challenging descents. Happy you are appreciating Pat and Linda´s leadership.

      Delete
  5. Hi Team, Ok, a relic hunter sleuthing: Estella,(old town) in the Iglesia de San Pedro de la Rua, true or false, there is a fragment of the True Cross in its relics bin, together with the shoulder bone of a saint.
    Bonus point: the Basque for old town is?
    A: Lizarra, B: Erizarra.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Darlene and Wendy, love reading your exploits... Happy Happy Happy hear as well, sunny morning and off to do my grocery shopping pilgrim style.

    Darlene, am in the process of setting up the Toronto Chapters facebook page, do I have your permission to post your blog?

    Ultreia! Ingrid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i would be honored to have my blog on the facebook sight, especially if it helps others to prepare.

      Delete
  7. Spelling! I mend of course here, not hear. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great blog Darlene. I'm so enjoying this adventure you are having. I'm now understanding why you are compelled to take this walk again and again. you are really inspiring me. Being me, I of course love all the the food descriptions. When you described your first cafe con leche, I so wished I was there. Morning cafe con leche, was one of the best things about walking the Camino. Stay well.
    My best to Wendy.
    hugs,
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I´ll try for some great meals to post for you Spanish Foodies. Sometimes it isn´t gourmet, but it is tasty and filling.

      Delete
  9. Buen Camino -- I am enjoying your posts, I hope to walk the camino someday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Collette. How did you find my blog, or have we met and I don´t remember?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic photos, Darlene. Doesn't the sunshine make all the difference. You're an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy, Happy, Happy! So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So good to hear about your happy day. I can visualize everything that you are seeing. I love the poppies and fields of yellow!...xoxo...j

    ReplyDelete